1. What did you learn this week?
This week I learned about the 5E model. This model provides 5 ideas that should be included into a science lesson. The first idea is engage which is all about getting the students' attention and having them think about their prior knowledge. The next idea is explore. Explore is when the students use their prior knowledge along with completing challenges to come up with new ideas. The third idea is explain which is when the students explain what they learned and what they know. Fourth is elaborate. This idea means that the students will apply their knowledge towards new challenges. Lastly is evaluate which is just as it sounds. The students will reflect on what they learned as well as be tested on the content to see how much they learned and how much they still need to learn.
2. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can use each of these 5 steps that I learned about in unique ways to ensure I am adequately allowing my students to learn different things. I can do this by providing hands on activities or experiments with knowledge they already knew, but will continue to adapt and learn about. An example of this is a hands on activity about life cycles. Students would already know a bit about life cycles, but to further understanding and learning, a student could complete a project of a lifestyle on an animal or insect they do not know much about.
3. What are new or remaining questions?
A question that I have is, how can I make sure as a future teacher to equally touch on all 5 ideas and not just one or two?

Excellent post for this weeks lab. I agree that the 5E's are a fantastic way to assure that students are receiving multidimensional learning and engaging with their intrinsic curiosity. I think as a teacher lesson plan are always a touchy subject in terms of the time we are given to plan and the work load we shoulder. Speaking with collogues, approaching your work analytically, and remember Maya Angelous quote "Do your best, until you know better, than when you know better, do better." Can apply to your remaining question. Great post.
ReplyDeleteHi Melodee, I also think that applying the 5E model of instruction into future teaching will be very important. I think hands on activities and experiments are great ways to make it more fun for the students.
ReplyDeleteHey Melodee! Your blog looks awesome! I like your explanation of the 5E model and I also wonder how in the future I will incorporate all the steps to the 5E model. I feel that while it may be hard at first it will eventually get easier to do!
ReplyDelete