Saturday, February 3, 2024

Week 3 Blog Post

 1. What did you learn this week? 

This week I learned about seed germination and the process of how the plant grows from a seed. We went over this process by germinating lentil seeds in a fast light box. Something else I learned this week was the differentiation of dormant and active as well as a few examples of what this could look like. The last thing that I learned this week was life cycles of different things such as a caterpillar, a lima bean plant, and even a lemon tree. 

2. Which parts did you find clear and which were confusing? 

An idea that was confusing to me was the dormant vs. active states of a seed. This was confusing to me as we talked about the idea of if a seed was living or nonliving and how a seed in a dormant state seems nonliving instead of living. However, clear ideas that I learned was the germination process as well as the different life cycles that we talked over. 

3. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

One thing that I know I will apply in the future is the play doh life cycle project. I think that this is such a cool way for students to apply what they've learned about life cycles into a physical object. It also is a way for each group of students to focus on one specific life cycle and then be able to give key ideas of that life cycle to the other classmates when doing a class presentation. 






2 comments:

  1. Hi Melodee! I love the butterfly life cycle you did, my partner and I also made a butterfly life cycle for that activity! I agree with you absolutely about the dormant vs active seed states being confusing --- that is something I also did not completely understand from lab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butterfly cycle is so pretty and I love the how much effort you put into it. I was a bit confused about the aspect of the seed as well. I didn't know that there could be things that are ALSO categorized as in between living and non-living. This makes it way more confusing for me.

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 Blog Post

1 . What did you do in lab? To start lab we talked about our interviews with our elders that we did over break. We tried to see if there wer...