This week we learned about about baby turtles and their mortality rate as well as the circumstances is which they live or die. We learned that only 1 in 1000 turtles live after being born. We also learned about the difference of natural vs human factors that either help or hurt the turtles through a game. Some of the natural factors could be seaweed covering the turtles from predators or a raccoon getting to the turtle. A human factor could be picking up trash on the beach to help or driving on the beach which hurts them. On top of this knowledge, we also learned how to cross pollinate our flowers with dead, dry bees.
2. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can apply what I learned about turtles through the book we read as well as the game we played to help teach my students about the life cycles of turtles as well as how we can improve the birth rate and decrease the mortality rate. This will allow students a way to learn about the factors while also having a fun competition in the class.
3. What are new or remaining questions?
One question I have is what substitution can we make to the dead dry bees? Is there a more child friendly way to complete this part of the activity?

Hi Melodee! I definitely agree with your question about the dead dry bees --- while I think some students wouldn't mind, I can imagine a vast majority would have issues with using them for the activity. I wonder if just simply using sticks would have worked?
ReplyDelete