Sunday, October 13, 2024

Week 6 Blog




1. What did you do in lab?

During lab this week my group and I discussed the 3 big questions using the globe and the lightbulb provided to simulate the sun. Our main question that we discussed was what causes the different seasons. This was interesting as our winter is the south's summer, vice versa. We were curious as to how this occurs, but figured out that because of the Earth's tilt, at certain points, the north and south are getting directly hit by the sun at different times. 

2. What was the big question?

During lab this week there were 3 big questions for us to address. The questions were: How do the phases of the moon occur? What causes the seasons? What causes the lunar eclipse?

3. What did you learn in Thursday's discussion?

In Thursday's discussion we talked about several questions. Some of the questions were having do to with moon phases at certain points during the day, another question was about the geometric model of the solar system, and lastly we went over our answers from the quiz we all took on Monday during lab. One of the things that I truly learned throughout this discussion was the moon phases at certain points throughout the day. Using my hands to model the sun, the moon, and myself on Earth, I was able to determine how the moon would look. This was impressive to me as I have never been able to figure this out before, nor did I care to. 

4. Read the online text book, chapter 5. What did you learn? What was most helpful? What do you need more information on?

After reading the pressbook chapter, "Sun, Earth, and the Moon," I learned about key concepts such as the phases of the Moon, solar and lunar eclipses, and the gravitational forces that create tides. The explanations of the Earth's rotation, revolution, and axis tilt were particularly useful in understanding how these motions cause day and night as well as seasonal changes. The most helpful aspects were the clear diagrams illustrating the phases of the Moon and eclipses, which made these complex phenomena easier to visualize. However, I need more information on the detailed mechanics of tides, particularly why spring and neap tides occur, and how they vary across different geographic locations. I also think some clarification on precession and its impact on the Earth's orientation would help me a lot. 

5. What questions, concerns, and/or comments do you have?

The only comment I have this week is that I have thoroughly impressed with the amount that I have actually learned and wanted to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Blog Post

1 . What did you do in lab? To start lab we talked about our interviews with our elders that we did over break. We tried to see if there wer...